Janelle Monae and Wondaland Rally in San Francisco Mission District, August 23, 2015

To tell you the truth, I'm only a photographer. I'm not going to be able to give you a great editorial experience about this event. I was not able to write down the properly written names of every one who spoke and every person who they spoke about. But what I did do was try and capture the true nature of this event. Most of the time media is only going to give you a glimpse into the world of today's activism that includes the likes of Black Lives Matters and Stop Mass Incarceration who put this event together with Janelle Monae and Wondaland as a headliner that was meant to bring an audience. I honestly think those who missed out on attending this event really missed out. It was emotional, powerful, beautiful to the core and brought to light to a movement that I often only hear about from a very small lens surrounded with lots of speculation and rumors. 

The main topics of the event were:

1) Police Violence towards people of color
2) Violence towards Transgender community
3) Gentrification (I actually learned about this event from Causa Just a Just Cause on Facebook)
4) Changing the current "school to prison" system

These are the true revolutionaries with a cause who are standing up and putting it all on the line to make change. Hopefully people will notice.

Below is a pictures and a video that is pretty long but it shows most of the rally and trust me it is not boring. If you ever wondered what a rally was like and what these movements are really about this is a great way to find out. Trust me, as much as some white people can easily feel attacked, there were speakers (some who I had not had a chance to record) who welcomed white people to get involved by learning about these communities and how gentrification and police violence effects them and why they are not backing down on continuing their mission

Their mission is to make their communities safe without having to leave to another city with no jobs, food deserts and low opportunity while affluent white people take over the neighborhoods they have grown up in and improve on them in ways they had always wanted like better schools and availability to food and clean parks for their children. 

Everyone, and I mean everyone no matter what their background and skin color, deserves a community that has doors of opportunity and safety. That is why as a white woman I want to help these movements the best way I can by providing media every chance I get right here in the Bay Area, CA. 

I hope you take a deep look, watch the entire video (yes Janelle Monae and Wondaland are in it at the end, but you'd really be missing out if you don't see some of San Francisco's greatest activist of our time speaking as well).






























To contact directly regarding access to media or request me to take pictures at future events, for free yes to events like these: classic8media@gmail.com





Comments